Skinny-Sized Teacher

A blog about life before and after gastric bypass

Day 3: I’m coming home & week 1

on January 25, 2012

January 21, 2012

My surgeon woke me up about 6:30 to check on me, and asked if I was ready to go home. Heck Yeah! He gave me the office’s Post-Op diet for Gastric Bypass patients and instructed me that I needed to get up and walk every hour.

I was so happy to get out of the hospital, mainly because I smelled. I feel like my body odor has changed since surgery. *Gag*

The APRN came in shortly after to tell me she was going to expedite my paperwork so I could go home before it started to snow heavily. I called my parents to let them know to start driving towards me and that I would be discharged soon. Thanks to a comedy of errors, which is par for the course at my house, my parents didn’t arrive until nearly 11.

The snow was thick and fluffy, so it took us close to 2 hours to get home.  Other blogs suggested that I bring a pillow with me for the ride home, and I was glad that I was did. It helped to absorb some of the shock of the bumps. I had to take out my nose ring for surgery and was stoked when I could get it back in!

On the way home, we decided to stop and pick up my painkiller and Prilosec. I found out that my local CVS does not stock many liquid medicines– great. Does anyone know if I give them a few days if they can get them in stock?

Once I got home and properly kissed the kitties (including Spook, the love of my life), I settled into organizing my recovery. I’m a teacher, I’m super organized. It’s funny though, living with my parents, since I have very little control of the rest of the environment, my tiny childhood bedroom is pretty cluttered, which I would not stand living on my own.  To help me keep track of fluids, medicines, you name it, I put together a log book with a place to write down times, types, and amounts of fluids including checkoffs for vitamins. On the back I’ve been keeping records of anything noteworthy–including weight (I haven’t been able to resist weighing myself every day), temperature, and other meds I’ve had to take. I know that I won’t be able to be this organized in the future, but I don’t want any complications preventing me from going back to work on time. I miss my students.  I’m in my tenure year at work, so honestly I’m afraid that my sub will be a better teacher than me and take my job away. It’s funny but I made it perfectly clear to my principal exactly HOW much material I was leaving my sub. Those gorgeous PowerPoints, quizzes ,and tests–those are mine.

I spiked a temp (99.8) that night, so I took some liquid painkiller and went to sleep. I woke up sweating in the middle of the night, so I know the Tylenol helped me to lower my fever. I’ve been sleeping on the recliner because its easy to get in and out of.

January 22-25, 2012

The past few days since I’ve been home have been a matter of sip.sip.walk.sip. and making sure I’m getting enough liquids so I don’t end up in the hospital for dehydration. So far my urine is clear, so I don’t have anything to worry about. I did find out I have an infection not related to the surgery, so I’ve had the added joy of crushing up medications and getting them to go down the hatch.

Fact: some crushed meds taste disgusting.

I’ve also been trying to keep tabs of things at work through my email.

Most importantly, I’ve been trying to catch up on grad school work, though I don’t seem to have much attention span these days. I spoke with a nurse from Bliss 8 today about that and she reminded me that I went through major surgery less than a week ago. My body is healing and I need to not fight it. She suggested I call the doctor’s office and get a note to send to my grad school about restrictions so I’m not continually docked for late work.

I’ve spent lots of time surfing the net and I’ve discovered some wonderful communities. ThinnerTimes is a great forum and The World According to Eggface is a food blog focused on life post-Gastric Bypass. I’m planning on going back to her site once Hell Weeks have passed and I’m able to eat real food. I can’t wait for that. I’m so tired of “clear liquids!” I start on full liquids tomorrow! Huzzah!!

Going to try driving today so I can get my nails done (and get out of the house!)



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: